Another year has come and gone, which of course means it’s time to list my Top Ten favorite films of 2015. Quick disclaimer: These aren’t necessarily the films that I think are the best, but they are the films that I enjoyed watching the most. Feel free to click each title for the link to my full reviews of each film. Enjoy, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
- PEANUTS Shultz’s classic comic strip was beautifully brought to life with fun animation and an endearing story that made audiences fall in love with Charlie Brown all over again.
- KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE One of the most fun, action packed films of the year. This movie reinvigorated the spy genre with 90’s action film flare. Newcomer Taron Egerton was a breakout star while Samuel L. Jackson also turned in one of the best villain portrayals of the year.
- DOPE A witty, relevant take on the teen comedy that featured several bright young stars. It helps that it provided some of the most memorable laughs in any comedy released in 2015.
- JURASSIC WORLD With a nostalgia factor that was off the charts, and a charismatic leading man in Chris Pratt, this 90’s throwback managed to be a thrill ride even if it was just a rehash of the original Jurassic Park.
- STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Speaking of nostalgia, this film brought back all of the original emotions created by the classic Star Wars trilogy while also successfully ushering in a new cast of wonderful characters that I can’t wait to see more of.
- INSIDE OUT Pixar does it again. This time, the animation gurus gave us a unique story that blended some clever comedy with a heartfelt story filled with great messages for people of all ages.
- EX MACHINA This methodical thriller made me a huge fan of each member of its main cast. Stellar performances coupled with a sleek, yet simple production value helped make this film a science fiction classic.
- STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON I’m usually not a fan of biopics, especially if they’re three hours long. But this film was a pleasant surprise. Great music, sensational performances and a well crafted narrative made this movie feel like time well spent.
- MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Coming in at a very close 2nd, is George Miller’s return to the Director’s chair to bring a new Mad Max movie that was perhaps even more fun than his original films. Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron, and Nicholas Hoult (amongst others) helped bring to life some memorable characters that helped transcend a plot that is essentially a non-stop car chase into a Summer classic.
- CREED Who new Sylvester Stallone still had this left in him? He and Michael B. Jordan combined to create the best onscreen duo of 2015 and make this Rocky sequel into the perfect movie-going experience filled with heart, soul, and suspense.
Honorable Mention: The Man from UNCLE, The Hateful Eight, Ant-Man, Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation, The Walk, The Night Before, Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2, The Good Dinosaur, The Martian